» Edge Flicker in Photography and Painting – Part I
  • Paolo Roversi Photography Analyzed [7 Techniques]
    #494 Welcome back everyone! Huge thanks for all of the awesome support, you’re truly appreciated! Today we are going to be deconstructing the remarkable photos of fashion photographer, Paolo Roversi. We’ll look close at his design techniques and unique artistic style (see Day 122), then discover the secret recipe to his best photos. We’ll also see […]

Edge Flicker in Photography and Painting – Part I



Painting by Jeremy Miranda displaying his control of his edges


Throughout the 365 you may have seen the term “Edge Flicker” or “EF” being used. This is a name that I use to describe contrasting objects near the edge of the frame, flickering for our eyes attention. I’m not going to call it “vignette” because there’s too many definitions floating around between painting and photography, and people will just get confused. The idea is to keep the viewer in the image as long as possible, but when you have high contrast near the edge it creates an escape route for the eye and weakens the composition.

This content is for The Master Pass members only.
Log In Register

IPOX studios, LLC - Canon of Design - Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved. Up
Coincidences Create Unity & Movement
Edge Flicker – Cutting Off Limbs in Photography and Painting – Part II